1.When Hungary U 17 team file out today against the Golden Eaglets of Nigeria in the opening group b game of the 2019 FIFA U 17 tournament in Brazil, the country will be making her return to the tournament after 34 years.
2. Do you know that Nigeria and Hungary both have one thing in common under football? Yes. Nigeria have the bragging right as the country with the highest numbers of triumph at the FIFA U 17 World Cup with 5 wins. Hungary is also on the exclusive list of the only country crowned Olympics football kings 5 times.
3. On both occassions that Nigeria defeated Hungary in an international football competition, Nigeria eventually won the ultimate prize. It happened in 1985 FIFA U 17 World Cup and Atlanta ’96 Football event.
4. The present coach of Hungary U17 team, Sandor Preisinger is not a stranger to playing against Nigeria. He played against Nigeria at the group stage of the Atlanta ’96 Olympics.
5. Hungary were considered outsiders at the 2019 UEFA U 17 qualifying tournament for the Brazil FIFA U 17 World Cup, yet the team defeated highly enterprising teams like France and Russia.
6. The team has a strong fighting spirit, with a tendency to claw their way back into a game after conceding an early goal and eventually punished their opponents with goals. France and Russia were victims of Hungary at the 2019 UEFA U 17 tournament.
7. The trio of Goalkeeper of Krisztian Hegyi, defender Roland Bekker and striker Andras Nemeth are the backbones of the team.
8. Andras Nemeth is the mostly deadly player in the team, a predactor inside the box, who can also shoot outside the box with precision. He scored 3 goals at the UEFA U 17 tournament.
9. Nemeth is a South Africa -born striker, who grew up in Hungary, the country of his father’s birth. He signed for Genk while still in his 10th grade in school and he is already playing with the first team of the Belgian topflight side.
10. Hungary are the 5th and final European nation to qualify for the 2019 Brazil FIFA U 17 World Cup.